Friday, May 26, 2017

Craftsman Cabin Turned Mid-Century Modern Ranch

Ever since I sold the Mid-Century Bungalow a few years ago. I've wanted to do  another Mid-century modern build.  Here's what the MCM Bungalow looked like:


As you can see it's similar to the HBS Craftsman Cabin which is this year's Creatin' Contest kit.


I finally decided to start the build even though I have three unfinished projects that I'm "working" on. I haven't decided if I will enter the contest this year.  I guess it depends in whether or not I actually finish it.

 I've made quite a few changes to the kit.  First I closed up the front door, picture window and the window on the back side.  I also cut two new doorways and all new windows.  

 I moved the front door to the other side and put an addition on the left to make a bedroom and bathroom. I also made a triangular window much like the MCM Bungalow.

 It will have a sunken living room.  I cut a square in the floor and put one inch supports under the area where I cut.  Since the kit has a raised floor this worked out perfectly.

 I used 1/4" fiberboard for the addition because I can't find 3/8" anywhere.  The windows are a little deeper than the walls so I will cut some mat board to thicken the walls a bit.

 The angled roof line will be extended to make a car port a lot like this one.

I really wanted to use these mini concrete breezeblocks from Mini Materials for the realism, but I think they will mage it a little too heavy and I would need A LOT of them.  I will just do my best to make them with the laser cutter. Wish me luck!

#HBSCREATINCONTEST2017

11 comments:

  1. I love how it looks! Especially that carport with the deco brick. I'll bet you can do them on the laser cutter. Or through Shapeways in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to doing the car port.

      Delete
  2. How Marvelous that the HBS kit is so close to your previous Mid-Centrury dollhouse. I really like the modifications which you've made to the kit, thus far but when I saw the illustration of the house with the carport, it took be back in time to the first house I ever lived in as a toddler.
    I always remembered that house as HUGE but revisiting it 50 years later, I was astonished at how small in Reality, it actually was!
    Looking forward to revisiting this [nostalgic] build of yours again :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that funny. The house I grew up in was for sale awhile back so I went to the open house and it seemed so tiny.

      Delete
  3. De momento has dado un cambio de imagen importante. Me gustará ver sus progresos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its looking great! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was sad when you sold the MCM bungalow. I don't think I could have parted with it. So I'm chuffed to see you start a new build. Looking forward to seeing your progress :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I regretted it after it was gone.

      Delete
  6. These are excellent changes! :D Looking forward to seeing what you create.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cyd this is so exciting! The changes you've made and the plans you've shared have me so eager to watch the progress! I hope you find lots of time for building, creating and sharing!

    ReplyDelete