Saturday, June 7, 2014

Wood Floors

When I posted the pics of the Groovy 70's Pad, I was asked to go a tutorial on how I do my wood floors.

To start, whenever I see bamboo mats at discount stores like Home Goods or TJ Maxx I typically scoop them up.  This also works with bamboo place mats. They come in various shades.

 This is what the bamboo floor mat looks like.  This one is about  3 ft X 2 ft.  It cost around $7.00 so you get a lot for your money.

They usually have some kind of binding and a backing.


 I tear off the backing  and the binding which leaves a light mesh that holds the bamboo pieces together.  The glue can penetrate and it will glue the floor directly to your base. Another good thing is that you can cut the entire floor at once and not have to glue down a zillion pieces of wood individually.

Then I cut it to size and use hot glue.  The only things I typically use hot glue for are siding and the wood floors. I use it because it sets up quickly and I don't have to worry about water based glue warping the wood.



Voila! Wood flooring. 

3 comments:

  1. So cool! I love these "behind the scenes" explanations. I would never have thought to use some of the things you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are on the same page. I am using bamboo mats as flooring on my townhouse. Yours look fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the hot glue tip. I have definitely warped some floors with water based glue.

    ReplyDelete